The first step..


Having been diagnosed with endometriosis in October 2018 and Fibromyalgia in February 2019, chronic pain is a regular occurrence for this 30 something. It has brought feelings of frustration, guilt and weakness as any of you fellow sufferers may know. 

February 2019 was a living hell for me with 2 trips to the Emergency Department with abdominal pain that was off-the-charts and then an onset of Fibromyalgia to top it off.  This was my tipping point.

After a meltdown (emotional and physical) and a trip to a counsellor, March brought a re-set to "find my new normal".  Part of my manual restart was to follow on from the doctor's suggestion of rapid weight loss.  

I have always been "big boned" as my parents would say, but the past 12 months had seen a rise in my weight and my BMI. Chronic pain had made it difficult to exercise although I had, pre- February, been enjoying spin classes twice a week and a walk to work daily.  The idea of rapid weight loss was thrown around by my GP and hospital team with their thinking behind this being a decrease in inflammation and ultimately a decrease in chronic pain. I had nothing to lose - well, except some weight of course. 

And so my ketogenic journey began on 25 March 2019. I dived right in, did some reading to educate myself with help from my GP and stocked my cupboards. 

To date, the journey has been relatively easy, even for a sugar-loving cookie monster.  

I have set out about this blog to post and share tried and tested keto recipes and to give an insight into my new life with chronic pain (Endometriosis and Fibromyalgia). I hope you will join me on this journey as I find my new normal

Today was a particularly crap day with Fibro. Actually, the worst flare up since the chronic pain team diagnosed it.  I feel like I am 90 years old as every step hurts and everything from the hips down aches.  I felt I needed a place to download my thoughts and maybe connect with others in a similar situation. There are plenty of support groups on Facebook but posting there doesn't tick the same box for me personally. And so the blog was born. 

So, on that note, lunch today was keto chicken burgers made using Fathead Dough




 I used this recipe for the dough (https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/fat-head-pizza) which yielded 4 small buns for me and hubby. 

For the chicken filling (serves 2): 

Ingredients: 
2 chicken thighs - boneless and skinless 
2 tablespoons of natural unsweetened thick yoghurt 
1 tablespoon of madras curry powder 
handful of chopped corriander/cillantro 
salt 
pepper 
keto approved oil/butter for frying (eg. avocado oil)

Method:
1.  Heat oven to 180c.
2.  Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil, preferably non stick.
3.  In a medium bowl or dish, mix the yoghurt and curry powder together then 
     add the corriander, salt and pepper (to taste).
4.  Add the chicken thighs to the yoghurt marinade mixture and stir until the 
     thighs are completely coated in the mixture.  
5.  Refrigerate the chicken thighs in the marinade for 1 hour. 
6.  Remove chicken from refrigerator and set aside. 
7.  Heat oil (I used avocado oil) in a pan. Fry the thighs until they are golden 
     on both sides - 2 minutes each side. 
8.  Remove the thighs from the pan and place on baking sheet. 
9.  Bake the thighs for 15-20 minutes until cooked through with juices running 
     clear. Please note, cooking times are likely to be longer if your thighs are 
     still on the bone. 

To assemble, I spread some mayo on the buns, then the chicken thigh and finally topped with a handful of baby spinach. 

Let me know if you try this and what other fillings you have used. 


Current mood - tired and sore. 
Plans for the evening - relax with my legs elevated. 

Listen to your bodies guys, you only get one. 

Ciao for now. 





Comments